Friday, September 7, 2007

Clean Up Ubuntu Grub Boot Menu After Upgrades

To remove GRUB entries, we'll need to edit the file /boot/grub/menu.lst. You can do this by using Alt+F2 and then typing in the following command:

gksu gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst

image

Now that we've got the file open, scroll down to the bottom of the file where it says "End Default Options", and you'll find all the menu entries for the various kernels in here. You can just select and delete the ones you want.

image

Save the file, and then the next time you boot up you'll see a much nicer set of options.

Comments:

No need to delete those lines to simplify the GRUB menu. The easier way to keep only newest lines is to open the menu.lst (gksu gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst), find "#howmany=all" and change it to "#howmany=1″. Then run "sudo update-grub" to update changes. Next time, only newest kernel lines will be shown.

Source

2 comments:

  1. I have old files filling the volume my /boot directory is on. How do I delete the one I don't need anymore?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Brad,
    I'm not an expert on this...
    I would follow the source link and ask this question on the original post.

    ReplyDelete